The Eagle Cap Owners Group
The Eagle Cap Owners Group
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Camper Gallery | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Eagle Cap Owners Forums
 General Topics
 EC Triple Slide!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roadboat
Contributing Member

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  12:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roadboat's Homepage Send Roadboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some shots of the new EC triple slide prototype in progress. Should be finished by early March 2010-

This is the right rear- you can see the bathroom wall in front of the right slide opening- it is the same as in the 1160. But the galley arrangement is different- its more open, and doesn't have the counter stick into the living space- its more flush with the wall. The right side slide has an all the way across storage area behind the sink, accessed from outside the camper- Notice how high the basement space is- this allows the camper floor to be higher, which means the floor of the slideouts is closer to the floor of the camper- not a very high step up- Also, you can't see here, but all the propane plumbing is copper, and has a separate line running from the valve to each appliance- something required by Canada, I think-

Left rear shot-

Left front shot, showing toilet in middle of bed- just kidding, it awaits installation in the bath- notice the height in the bed area is a full 48" !!. A new higher front cap will cover this area. Mony says it will have the same profile as the current design- and this triple slide will have a standard 2 year warranty- Will be shown first at a show in Denver this spring-

07 EC 995 #0283
08 GMC drw crew dmax 4x

Edited by - Roadboat on 02/24/2010 2:00:34 PM

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2659 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  1:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those big rectangular slide openings should have some diagonal aluminum bracing welded into the corners (or the outside of corners).
I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it braced.
Go to Top of Page

Roadboat
Contributing Member

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  2:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roadboat's Homepage Send Roadboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do end up with a lot of space, rather than frame, in this design. Well, its not finished yet-

07 EC 995 #0283
08 GMC drw crew dmax 4x
Go to Top of Page

goldwinghauler

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  5:26:15 PM  Show Profile Send goldwinghauler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like the makin's of a fine camper to me....Can't wait to see it completed..

2012 Dodge Ram 3500HD Cummins Diesel CC LB 4WD Dually
2011 Lance 1181
Go to Top of Page

goldwinghauler

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  04:48:07 AM  Show Profile Send goldwinghauler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently the way this one is constructed with over the rail design, a stronger camper is the end result. Regardless of the openings punched through the exterior. The floor walls and roof all become an integral part of the superstructure and allow this camper to be light yet strong.

2011 Lance 1181
Go to Top of Page

joec
Founding Member

635 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  07:07:43 AM  Show Profile Send joec a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like the toilet in the middle of the cab over, SWEET. But seriously what is this expected to weight? I am guessing that a 450 or 550 class truck will be needed for this? I seem to be at the limit with a dually F350 and my old 950 slide. I do carry a lot of extras because I have been using this to work out of when in Lakeview. So a 450 or 550 would be the prefect truck for this camper, a nice utility body under it, now we are talking toy storage!!! Hope to see pics when she is all done.

2004 EC 950 Slide # 1058
2006 Ford F-350 DRW :)
Co-pilot, Suezie
Side-gunner, Andee, the best dog ever!
Tail-gunner, Cali
Belly-gunner, Tucker
Go to Top of Page

SuperDave
Advanced Member

1150 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile Send SuperDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm an idiot. I see 2 openings for slides. Where is the third slide?

2006 Dodge Dually
2007 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
2003 - 21' Jetcraft, 150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha Kicker & 4 Cannon Downriggers
Go to Top of Page

wnjj

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  12:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send wnjj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperDave

I guess I'm an idiot. I see 2 openings for slides. Where is the third slide?

Left, right and rear.

2007 EC950 slide #0179
Go to Top of Page

3 tons
Advanced Member

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  08:20:47 AM  Show Profile Send 3 tons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One particular advantage to this new 'over the (bed) rail' TC design is that it eliminates the 'above the basement' mid-section or transistion to wing area, a point of weakness inherent in conventional TC build design.

Conventional (motor beneath) slide mechanisims (e.g. Power Gear, et al) are well suited for truck campers as they are very forgiving to road borne floor and wall flexing and even initial build misalignment. However, this newer type slide mechanism (used on the 1165 & many other types of RV's) requires a higher degree of wall precision and overall vehicle structural integrity than mid-section designs can reliably provide. In fact with the lightweight Lippert mechanism, the slideout doesn't even touch the floor, or rely on a floor roller of any kind. Thus, the new 'over the rail' design, which assures the necessary strength and precision by using a stronger continuous sub-floor spanning the entire width of the camper. Overall, a more favorable approach (stronger structure, bigger basement, lighter slide weight) dictated strictly by the slide type.

3 tons

Go to Top of Page

goldwinghauler

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  09:10:18 AM  Show Profile Send goldwinghauler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly, 3 tons, and a superior designed TC is the product that you end up with. Also a weight savings for this new design and slide mechanisms. It appears if they have done their homework right that this camper should definately be in the 1 ton range ( with only a little help from some minor suspension mods).

2011 Lance 1181
Go to Top of Page

Roadboat
Contributing Member

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roadboat's Homepage Send Roadboat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mony did say that they would recommend a 450 or better truck for the triple slide, but I think they are constrained by liability to only recommend trucks which have a high enough rated capacity. He is also aware that customers may use a lighter truck than they recommend. Of course, there are mods which can improve a given truck model's capacity. Like I put 19.5 rims and commercial tires on my 3500 dually, plus airbags.

Someone ought to put this on a 150, just to take a picture-

07 EC 995 #0283
08 GMC drw crew dmax 4x
Go to Top of Page

goldwinghauler

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  12:59:26 PM  Show Profile Send goldwinghauler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I end up with a Triple slide I will put it on a Ranger or S-10 pickup for a photo op.

Just hope it doesn't crush the 'tinny' bed.

I am anxiously awaiting the finished product and a 'real' world weight for this camper.

2011 Lance 1181
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Eagle Cap Owners Group © To pending members: Have you checked your e-mails? - - - - - - 2005 Eagle Cap Owners Go To Top Of Page
Whoa! It took 0.09 seconds to get here. Snitz Forums 2000