The Eagle Cap Owners Group
The Eagle Cap Owners Group
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Camper Gallery | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Camper Modifications & Improvements
 Exterior
 Leak
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skiierdave

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  09:18:08 AM  Show Profile Send skiierdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am finding some brownish staining in front of my bed on the drivers side. The stain starts where the structure angles in towards the mattress and goes to the cab-over floor. I've cleaned this area various times and the stain will reappear.

I have driven the camper in pouring rain and nothing happens, I can camp at White Pass ski area for a week and still nothing happens. Yesterday I drove down to Yakima in clear weather and boom the stain reappeared. Just doesn't make sense.

There is no evidence of staining in the ceiling (no moisture either), I have checked all seals, running lights (LED) and I have used Eternabond tape on the front and rear cap seals. I camp full time in the winter and am dumbfounded by this. Any ideas?

2009 1050 with most options
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4X4 DSL, Rancho RS 9000XL shocks and Stable loads.
USN Retired (ETCM,QMCM, COB/SS)

SuperDave
Advanced Member

1168 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  09:27:32 AM  Show Profile Send SuperDave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you moved the matress to see if the stain is isolated? I've heard stories of large amounts of condensation under the matresses due to body heat. Give us a picture of the stain if you can.

2006 Dodge Dually
2007 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
2003 - 21' Jetcraft, 150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha Kicker & 4 Cannon Downriggers
Go to Top of Page

skiierdave

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile Send skiierdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stain is not under mattress, but in nose of the interior. As I stated in my text it starts in the nose and goes down towards the cab-over floor. I'll take a picture next time it happens, I just cleaned the area this morning.

I'm using my Blackberry for internet so posting picture may take some time.

Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that would be a leak around or from the front marker light.
Did you inspect the marker lights for interior moisture?
Go to Top of Page

skiierdave

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  11:51:49 AM  Show Profile Send skiierdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich the marker lights are LED and fully sealed and caulking around each light is good. Puzzling isn't it. When ski season is over I'll try the electric blower and soap, maybe that will show something.

Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2679 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  2:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When moisture freezes, it expands right? Seems like even the smallest amount of moisture could shoulder it's way into or through any catch or opening in caulk.
As I've found out, it doesn't matter how good the caulk looks, it can still have a leak.
My money is on the marker lights.

Go to Top of Page

skiierdave

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  4:28:09 PM  Show Profile Send skiierdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear ya Rich, but no water or condensation in lights. I did a full inspection today.

Go to Top of Page

AllenF
Advanced Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  6:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllenF's Homepage Send AllenF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will not be IN the lights but is getting UNDER them. If you cannot see it then perform a sealtech test or it's equivalent.
That it is not all the way down seems to me to be a very small leak. These can be tough to sort out. IMO it is the light and I would remove and reseal and replace it.

Allen

2005 EC 1150 slide with custom Norcold 9.5 Cu.Ft. refer, EU 2000i, 12x12 screenroom, Surflo tank, Maxxair 1200T, Charge Wizard, EC #1330
2005 F-350, CC, 6.0L diesel, 4x4, Auto, dually, King Ranch, loaded
Go to Top of Page

skiierdave

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2011 :  8:08:36 PM  Show Profile Send skiierdave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what I found this spring. I was reading this forum and noticed that Rich was having a leak too. Someone suggested that he look at the edges of the Eternabond tape and since I also used Eternabond I decided to do the same.

I had already checked this area, but checked from the roof and not close up from the side since I don't have a step ladder at the ski area (guess I could have gone to the shop). Anyway, once I returned home for the summer I broke out the step ladder and did a thorough inspection and bingo found the leak. It was right at the edge of the Eternabond and not visible looking down from the roof.

The only time water would get in was when Ice would build up in the rain gutters and then start to melt. All fixed now!

1st pic shows the crack and where I removed some Eternabond. 2nd pic is the repair.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Eagle Cap Owners Group © To pending members: Have you checked your e-mails? - - - - - - 2005 Eagle Cap Owners Go To Top Of Page
Whoa! It took 0.19 seconds to get here. Snitz Forums 2000