The Eagle Cap Owners Group
The Eagle Cap Owners Group
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Camper Gallery | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Eagle Cap Owners Forums
 General Topics
 delaminating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

twocavedogs
Founding Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit twocavedogs's Homepage Send twocavedogs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we have an 05 950 that is delaminating on both sides and in the front below the cab window, does anyone know how or where we can get it fixed?

2005 950/slide 1999 Ford F350 4x4 7.3 diesel

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2665 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  8:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did the dealer say about that?
I would press on them for warranty repair even though the manufacturer is out of business.

Have you got any pic's of what it looks like?

2005 Eagle Cap 1150 - #1118 -|- Dry bath w/ all factory options except solar.
2005 F350 CC 6.0 diesel dually: GVWR 13000
Truck with 2 people and full tank of fuel: 8360 lbs.
Camper weight with full tanks: 4420 lbs
GVWR with camper, full tanks, gear and food: 12,780 lbs

Go to Top of Page

twocavedogs
Founding Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit twocavedogs's Homepage Send twocavedogs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't have any pics. It looks like a big bubble on the sides and is rippled in the front. We have contacted the dealer and unfortunately there is nothing they can do about it. They said we can try to fix it ourselves or take it to a body shop.

Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2665 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  09:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you press on the "bubble", is it rock hard or does it flex inward?

Go to Top of Page

twocavedogs
Founding Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit twocavedogs's Homepage Send twocavedogs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it flexes inward

Go to Top of Page

roadranger
Founding Member

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  10:40:20 AM  Show Profile Send roadranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dealer that services fiberglass sided campers might want to take on the job. The local Bigfoot dealer does this kind of work.

Also, when I owned an I/O boat, the boat dealer had a fiberglass shop that worked on these problems. They are REAL good at matching gelcoat colors.

Just some ideas to throw out at you...
Go to Top of Page

xnorp
Contributing Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit xnorp's Homepage Send xnorp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi don't have a Eagle cap and I am so sorry to hear about there problems. I was on the NATCOA caravan and we thought that Eagle Cap had a good product and were going to be around for a while. As far as the problem you are haveing one of the companys and I don't know which one ( the founder of this site might he was on the caravan also ) said that they have that type of problem sometimes and they drill a small hole in the center of the area and then put some glue in it and then add pressure to the area. Then fix the small hole. I don't know how good this would work but if you go to a body shop you might see what they think of the idea. Good Luck and sorry to hear about your problem.
xnorp
Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2665 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  4:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xnorp

. . . . said that they have that type of problem sometimes and they drill a small hole in the center of the area and then put some glue in it and then add pressure to the area. Then fix the small hole. . . .xnorp

Thank you for taking an interest xnorp.
I don't know the best repair method to the delamination problem.
I am in the restoration business and the method you suggest certainly came to mind.

If that method is used, I would suggest a very viscous epoxy.
The industry standard is System Three epoxy and they make various types of epoxy.
System Three website:http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp

Bye-the-way, I "bumped" the top rear camper corner into the eave of my shop building on day-one.
The resulting 1 1/2-inch gouge was easily filled and sanded smooth with polyester resin (Bondo).
It was a light colored resin and I haven't bother to color it yet because it matches well and it can't be seen from ground level.

Nobody knows except me and everyone reading this.
(Yes, hon. . .I'll show you were it was. . .)

Go to Top of Page

xnorp
Contributing Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  5:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit xnorp's Homepage Send xnorp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know now Rich and will be checking it out May when we see you.
xnorp
Go to Top of Page

twocavedogs
Founding Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  7:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit twocavedogs's Homepage Send twocavedogs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for the ideas. we will be checking them out. will let you know what we come up with.

Go to Top of Page

John
Contributing Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit John's Homepage Send John a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was happy to find this website. Our EC 850 w/slide is delaminating at the underneath part of the cabover. Has anyone had this fixed yet? Our dealer says they will fix it for about $500. Would like a cheaper option. Thanks for any suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2665 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the ECO group John.

To my knowledge, there is not yet an official "fix" for the delamination problem.
If and when Okanagan or Alaskan takes over the Eagle Cap asset's and resumes building campers, then we might get an official fix for the delamination issue.

Try to get more information from the repair company as to:
1) step-by-step how they plan on repairing the defect.
2) what will be their remedy if their repair fails or delamination occurs around their repair.

The expanded polystyrene foam (EPS)insulation will dissolve when certain solvents are applied (such as alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner).
So, if the "glue" contains a quick evaporant, it could very well attack the foam and cause an even greater problem.

Epoxy, such as System Three mentioned earlier in this thread, would not attack the foam and it would create a permanent bond.

Find out what the repair company plans to do.
Find out what adhesive they plan on using - if their adhesive is a solvent bearing type, it could be the wrong repair method.

Almost any veneer (and the laminate is a "veneer") whether its Formica or wood veneer can be re-laminated by drilling a small hole(s) or slitting it (as with wood veneer) and squeezing adhesive under the veneer. Then applying pressure to keep the veneer in contact with the substrate.

A 12-hour drying epoxy would be best since it gives you the most "open" time with which to work with it.

Let us know what you find out.

Go to Top of Page

fdwil111
Founding Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  08:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit fdwil111's Homepage Send fdwil111 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I don't have a delamination problem at this time, I am very interested in the subject because, as orphans, we may have to deal with this problem without factory support and help.

I am unclear how the siding is attached to the aluminum framing. I've looked at the photographs of the plant tour last summer and the photos are not telling me what I want to know about how the siding material is made, or how it is attached.

The front and rear caps are molded as clearly shown in the photos, but I'm unclear how these are attached to the framing and the siding.

The gel coating is applied to the outer surface of the siding material, I believe. If that is true, what is the siding material?

Rich, I see from your posts on the other forum(s) that you, too, may wonder about some of these issues. I believe you went on the factory tour. Do you remember how this critter was made?

2005, EC 950 #1052 (8/17/04) with slide.

2001 F-350, SC, SRW, V-10, 2-WD
Go to Top of Page

wellsdesigned
Contributing Member

21 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit wellsdesigned's Homepage Send wellsdesigned a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was at the factory tour. From what I remember, insulation was squeezed between the aluminum frame and then that frame is laid onto the inside panel bathed with adhesive, then the exterior skin, which for the 05 models was a thin sheet of fiberglass was laid over and the entire assembly was pressed together while the adhesive set. Later the windows and other penetrations would be cut out. The front and rear caps were applied after all of the walls were assembled onto the floor deck and the roof deck. I don't remember anything about the front piece being glued to the camper. All I observed was the front wrap around being attached at the edges where it met up with the roof and wall. If it wasn't glued into place, that could indicate that a sag on the underside will become more common as the 05 models age.

They had just spent a boat load of money developing the mold for the front and rear shroud (by their own admission). Which is probably another reason for the bankruptcy, but also could be something they would have found themselves addressing.

One of the biggest minus points I observed about their plant was that it wasn't heated or cooled, so I'm betting that the glue lamination's effectiveness was dependent on what time of year the unit was manufactured. That's just theory though.

04 Eagle Cap 850 w/ slide
On Chevy 2500HD

Edited by - wellsdesigned on 01/17/2006 1:32:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

admin-Rich
Founder

USA
2665 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  1:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit admin-Rich's Homepage Send admin-Rich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined up with the Natcoa caravan after the EC factory tour - so I missed it.

However, looking at this photo:
http://www.eaglecapowners.com/campergallery/gallery.asp?action=viewimage&categoryid=36&text=&imageid=33&box=&shownew=

The tool marks on the aluminum (the shinny disk swirl marks) are probably there for a reason.
The reason, I guess, is to provide the aluminum with some "tooth" to which the adhesive can bond.

I wonder if the aluminum scarifying was done from the very beginning. If not, why? And could that result in delamination?

Only one side of the aluminum would require scarifying - so there's a potential that a worker could do the wrong side. Again, leading to a failure.
Dunno'. . .

I wonder what kind of adhesive was used, and if it were spread over the foam. Too many questions. . .

Go to Top of Page

fdwil111
Founding Member

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  6:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit fdwil111's Homepage Send fdwil111 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the contributions of information about construction. A former Eagle Cap employee posted on the rv.net TC forum offering to help EC owners (Rvbob45). I just sent him a private mail (via the rv.net), and asked him what he could, and would, tell us about construction of our campers. He may post here, or if I receive a PM I'll share whatever he says (assuming I get a reply).

2005, EC 950 #1052 (8/17/04) with slide.

2001 F-350, SC, SRW, V-10, 2-WD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Eagle Cap Owners Group © To pending members: Have you checked your e-mails? - - - - - - 2005 Eagle Cap Owners Go To Top Of Page
Whoa! It took 0.12 seconds to get here. Snitz Forums 2000