Thinking about an 1165
Hi all. I have been looking at replacements for out Lance 1181. We really like the 1165 floor plan. I know it's heavy, and am prepared for that. 
 Anyone that has, or had an 1165, can you fill me I on how you like it?
 Anything I should know before i buy?
 Also looking at the Lance 1172. Most the time I am thinking that is the way I go, but then I look at the pics of the 1165......
 TIA
 Bob V
(07-25-2017, 01:34 PM)BobV Wrote: Hi all. I have been looking at replacements for out Lance 1181. We really like the 1165 floor plan. I know it's heavy, and am prepared for that. 
 Also looking at the Lance 1172. Most the time I am thinking that is the way I go, but then I look at the pics of the 1165......
 TIA
 Bob V
We have an 1165 and love it. We traveled from Nevada to all up and down the east coast. We spent about 6 months in it. We being my husband, myself and our black lab. We only had one complaint and that was the poor airflow through the windows. It does have an air conditioner so you will be comfortable, we just aren't big air conditioner people. You are aware of the weight problem which we addressed with a Ford F-350 and large Timbrens (blew two air bags).
(07-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Rachelrichards@prodigy.net Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 01:34 PM)BobV Wrote: Hi all. I have been looking at replacements for out Lance 1181. We really like the 1165 floor plan. I know it's heavy, and am prepared for that. 
 TIA
 Bob V
We have an 1165 and love it. We traveled from Nevada to all up and down the east coast. We spent about 6 months in it. We being my husband, myself and our black lab. We only had one complaint and that was the poor airflow through the windows. It does have an air conditioner so you will be comfortable, we just aren't big air conditioner people. You are aware of the weight problem which we addressed with a Ford F-350 and large Timbrens (blew two air bags).
Thanks for the reply.  We have a 2011 F450 with air bags and upper stable loads. I think I will be ok it janled out Lance 1181 well. I figure the 1165 we be about 1,000lbs heavier. 
 How full do you fill the fresh water tank when traveling
 I usually keep the Lance full, even thought we have never needed that much, that way we are prpaired for the zombie apocalypse if it happen edhile we travelSmile
 If the 1165 had a bunk it would be a lot easier decision for us. The Lance has one, is less money, and possibly better built. 
 I wish this forum was a little stonger, the Lance group is a good bunch and very helpful.
I don't think the Lance is better built.  I have a 2014 1181 Lance and it "looks" well made, but has a multitude of problems.
Pretty much all the Lance's of late vintage have had the slide out rollers dig into the bottom of the slide.  The fix is to install metal roller plates on the slide bottom for the rollers to roll on.  That fix is the owners responsibility.

I'm pretty sure that my Lance construction was started on a three-day Friday holiday weekend and finished by hung-over low paid workers.
My previous camper, a 2008 Arctic Fox, was very well made and extremely heavy.  And poorly laid out design-wise.

My 2005 Eagle Cap 1150 was my first camper and the best designed camper.  However, as a rookie owner, I destroyed the camper over a period of time through rookie mistakes.  I wish EC would bring back the 1150 model and I'd buy one in a heart beat.

The F350 has a rear axle rated from the manufacturer at 11,000 pounds.  The weak link will be the tires and rims on the truck.  A dually is required for certain with an 1165 and upgraded wheels and tires is highly recommended.
AKA: testdog
(07-26-2017, 07:09 PM)BobV Wrote:
 TIA
 Bob V
Thanks for the reply.  We have a 2011 F450 with air bags and upper stable loads. I think I will be ok it janled out Lance 1181 well. I figure the 1165 we be about 1,000lbs heavier. 
 I usually keep the Lance full, even thought we have never needed that much, that way we are prpaired for the zombie apocalypse if it happen edhile we travelSmile
 If the 1165 had a bunk it would be a lot easier decision for us. The Lance has one, is less money, and possibly better built. 
 I wish this forum was a little stonger, the Lance group is a good bunch and very helpful.
We only filled the fresh water when we knew there wouldn't be any hookups. When we filled it, we filled it up. We used to have a Lance, but feel the Eagle Cap is far superior to the Lance. I think it is just a higher quality camper. Good luck to you, and have fun!
We have a 2015 1165 and love it. Yes, it is heavy but also very comfy and at the same time accommodating to diverse camping environments. The only complaint I have is all four Happijac motors have failed but thanks to warranty, they have been replaced without issue. If buying from dealer I would recommend an extended warranty since the warranty cost will be a drop in the bucket compared to the first major repair. Good luck regardless of ultimate camper choice and Happy Glamping!
(07-27-2017, 05:51 AM)Rachelrichards@prodigy.net Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 07:09 PM)BobV Wrote:
 TIA
 Bob V
We only filled the fresh water when we knew there wouldn't be any hookups. When we filled it, we filled it up. We used to have a Lance, but feel the Eagle Cap is far superior to the Lance. I think it is just a higher quality camper. Good luck to you, and have fun!
Thanks again, this helps alot. Now to find the best price
(07-26-2017, 07:53 PM)lost-eagle Wrote: I don't think the Lance is better built.  I have a 2014 1181 Lance and it "looks" well made, but has a multitude of problems.
Pretty much all the Lance's of late vintage have had the slide out rollers dig into the bottom of the slide.  The fix is to install metal roller plates on the slide bottom for the rollers to roll on.  That fix is the owners responsibility.

I'm pretty sure that my Lance construction was started on a three-day Friday holiday weekend and finished by hung-over low paid workers.
My previous camper, a 2008 Arctic Fox, was very well made and extremely heavy.  And poorly laid out design-wise.

My 2005 Eagle Cap 1150 was my first camper and the best designed camper.  However, as a rookie owner, I destroyed the camper over a period of time through rookie mistakes.  I wish EC would bring back the 1150 model and I'd buy one in a heart beat.

The F350 has a rear axle rated from the manufacturer at 11,000 pounds.  The weak link will be the tires and rims on the truck.  A dually is required for certain with an 1165 and upgraded wheels and tires is highly recommended.
Thank you for your reply
Positive feedback from EC owners is good to hear
New question. The 1165 does not have any upper cabinets this is where we usually put plates and cups and some food items. Where do you all put these kind of things? I read where someone has sliders made up for the closet/pantry by the door. It seems like a handy place for them.
I have plates in one of the drawers low and left of the sink.  I have some stacked cups in the "pantry" right of the sink.. it is a nice depth for that.

I found using clear storage bins in the storage area next to the entry door works great to best utilize that space.. I have canned goods, dry goods etc all in separate bins... two bins deep allowing me to just pull the bin out to get the stuff way in the back.
2017 1165 on 2015 GMC K3500 DRW Crew Cab Denali