Ram 3500 and EC 1165
First off, this sub-forum should say Ram and not Dodge according to the folks in Michigan. Big Grin Just picked up a 2016 Ram, fully loaded, DRW 3500 that I'll be using to pick up my 1165 next week. After touring the facility in Yakima last week, there was no question that I wanted an Eagle Cap and the 1165 seemed to be the best fit. However, I still find it a crime for spending >$50k on this unit and wanting/having/needing to spend another $5k with mods that will fit my boondocking and tech savvy needs. More to come with the mods as spring approaches.

As for the truck options/mods: factory spray-in liner, factory suspension airbags (will be interesting to see how it responds to that chubby camper), 4.10 gears with the AISIN transmission, factory engine brake (interested in how it performs in my home state of CO), complete torklift camper tie-downs, 20k lb SuperHitch, and Hellwig "Big Wig" sway bar with oversized frame bolts for strength and modified axle brackets to coexist with the airbags.
Congratulations Samurai!!! We have to see some pics! I retire in 17 months. I am going up to a Ram 4500 at least and maybe a 5500 to carry my future 1165. Are you concerned about being over GVWR??
I also want the 4.1 axle for better highway MPG. Very hard to find! I'll probably have to order one also!! I live in Longmont and would love to pick your brain and see your mods when completed!!! I'll bet you're smiling ear to ear!!! Cheers!

Phil
According to the sticker, I will have about 6000# left to hit the GVWR. Admittedly, it will be close. I hear about people using bigger trucks but other than an F450, I have never seen someone haul a TC behemoth (like an EC or Host) with something bigger than a one ton. I'd interested in seeing what other people on this forum use. I believe that the 2016 1165s have also shed some weight according to the manufacturer. The models coming out later this year will have 20 lb propane tanks instead of 30 lb, I was told.

I live in the Brighton/Thornton area so not far from you. I was shocked on how many Ram 3500 on the CO car lots with the Aisin transmissions had 3.42 gears in them! One had 3.73s and the one I got with the 4.10s was in transit. I jumped on it right away. Really odd there aren't more of them out here because it's the only one that gives you the 30k+ lbs towing capacity. Not to mention we've got a few "hills" out here to contend with!
Did you get yours from J.A.P? I have visited their lot a few times. Pretty decent pricing. Since I will live in my 1165 full time, I plan to carry basically everything I have with me. No way I could do that with a 3500. I want to have a service body built on it with tons (literally) of storage. Douglass Truck Bodies in California custom builds these specifically for truck campers. They are doing several of these builds every year as truck campers get heavier and heavier. Not cheap, but exactly what I need for full timing. I tried to attach some pics of what I have planned but I have no idea if it will work.

Attached Files
.docx   ~$ng bed vs Short bed.docx (Size: 162 bytes / Downloads: 14)
Ended up getting mine in Golden because they gave me more on the trade-in of my 07 Ram 3500 and, more importantly, had the only truck within a 400 mile radius with 4.10 gears.

The nice part for me is that I will be towing and the heavy things like battery bank, generator (the Onan is going bye bye which means even more weight savings on the 1165), extra water, and fuel will be on the trailer. I might be close with the GVWR but I'll be far from close to the GCWR! Big Grin
(01-21-2016, 07:36 PM)samurais_eat_jeeps Wrote: Ended up getting mine in Golden because they gave me more on the trade-in of my 07 Ram 3500 and, more importantly, had the only truck within a 400 mile radius with 4.10 gears.

The nice part for me is that I will be towing and the heavy things like battery bank, generator (the Onan is going bye bye which means even more weight savings on the 1165), extra water, and fuel will be on the trailer. I might be close with the GVWR but I'll be far from close to the GCWR! Big Grin

Congrats on your new Ram!!.... I too have a 0.7 6.7 dually, just curious was yours a 6.7 or 5.9?
Almost a year ago I traded in our 2007 Ram 6.7 CC, LB, 4x4, 4:10 for a factory ordered 2016 Ram 6.7 CC, LB, 4x4, 4:10.

GVWR is now 14,000, up from 12,200 in 07.
I notice that when going over freeway overpass transitions (asphalt to concrete, and back, etc) that the new frame is MUCH stiffer with almost zero deflection, whereas, in same scenario, very noticable deflection on the 07...Now with about 9k miles on Ram, a much more stable chassis platform than the former year model...

3 tons