Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess i get to ne the first
The only reason that we're looking at the AF 1140 is weight.
Your 3500 dually will be a champ ..no issues..Have faith in your truck ?
I had an AF 1140 and it was tremendously heavy.  I think that AF uses 3/4-inch plywood a lot in its construction - it's a bit of overkill but makes it rugged.  Hated the window system on it.  Also disliked the storage behind the bench seating.  It's a strong camper but poorly designed in my view.  And it had what looked like delamination of the outside panels on the cabover - or it might have been simply panel butt-joints telegraphing through.
The 1140 weight issue was a problem for me and was the main reason that I sold it.  There are other BIG campers available without the weight penalty.
I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
The rig looks similar to this - nothing exceeds factory weight limits.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
We have a 2005 Lance 1181 and a KZ Venom toyhauler now . Our plan is to sell both by this fall and buy a TC and tow our enclosed trailer for the toys. Are the stated weight of the new TC  accurate?
So what do you not like with your lance ..every lance I have looked at was deficient in storage ..
(03-31-2018, 09:14 AM)Tlmac Wrote: So what do you not like with your lance ..every lance I have looked at was deficient in storage ..

My wife was concerned about that too, especially after coming from the Arctic Fox 1140.  I found the perfect size plastic storage container boxes that precisely fit some of the Lance storage areas.  My system works for us.
Our Lance has numerous build quality issues.  I've addressed most of them myself to a point where it is "satisfactory" but with a few design changes and better quality build could have made the 1181 and excellent product.

Wife says this is our last camper, but for the moment, I'm still looking for the "perfect" camper.
Bye the way, the perfect camper will have these two features:
  1. Storage space for a Honda 2000 generator
  2. Storage space to fit a Weber Q 1200
Those are probably the two most popular camping accessories.  Why haven't manufacturer's figured that out?

A note on the single full wall slideouts; when used on a Ford, the slide weight will sag the springs so that the whole camper will tilt the rig slightly too the side.   Sad
I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
The rig looks similar to this - nothing exceeds factory weight limits.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
We got the 1181 last fall and used it only 2 nights.  The toyhauler is too big for a lot of campgrounds.
So the basement opening is 18 and a half high and 3 feet wide  
  Don't know what you  use the generator for. The Onan  that it comes with has been great 
  We put a front receiver (and basket) on our truck and have used it for our Coleman Roadside grill or firewood (holds 500 lbs) 
We have a superhitch and pull a cargo trailer with motorcycles etc  also have horses. We got the camper because it is difficult to get into some areas with a trailer  
Don't know if you know about under bed storage also good luck
The 1200 is slightl lighter and a 1.5" better COG then the 1165. I usually travel with at least 2/3 tank of fresh water because we never make plans when we leave so don't know where and how long we will be in one spot.
 With the family and eveything loaded up its over 6,000lbs total weight on the truck. 
 We look at a lot of campers and the 1200 had the most storage of them all.
We arrived at Lake Wolcott State Park in Idaho after a long drive from the south and the park had all water shut off from the winter even though it was spring.
Of course I expected a state park to have fresh water and had made a complete dump at the last campground.
Now, I never travel empty (and I carry 60 feet of water hose).
testdog is the normal user name for admin-rich - it lets me see the forum without the clutter of admin tools.