Winter campers?
We're praying for snow and counting the days until we can load up and kick off the ski season. Any other winter campers on the forum? I would love to hear any tricks or modifications you've done to improve your winter camping experience. We learned a bunch last year using our 960 in sub freezing temps but I'm sure there's some things we haven't thought of. Feel free to share your pics if you've got em'!
*2016 EC 960*
*2013 Dodge CC SRW 3500*
I can’t speak for the 960, but the 2” heat duct into the basement of my 995 was flowing almost no air whatsoever, while basement temps would drop into the mid 20’s (+05 < > degF. ambient)...So I installed a new 4” duct (for lower restriction) into the basement coming from an unused furnace plenum port (beneath oven, kitchen cabnetry and sink), and basement temps now reliably stay within 10 degrees of the interior temps and floor stays nice and comfy...

I also modified the always leaky bottom wiper gasket on the slide-out which made a BIG difference...
(12-09-2018, 09:19 AM)3 tons Wrote: I can’t speak for the 960, but the 2” heat duct into the basement of my 995 was flowing almost no air whatsoever, while basement temps would drop into the mid 20’s (+05 < > degF. ambient)...So I installed a new 4” duct (for lower restriction) into the basement coming from an unused furnace plenum port (beneath oven, kitchen cabnetry and sink), and basement temps now reliably stay within 10 degrees of the interior temps and floor stays nice and comfy...

I also modified the always leaky bottom wiper gasket on the slide-out which made a BIG difference...

Good info. I haven't experienced this with the 960(yet) but it too has the 2" pool hose used to heat the basement from the bottom knockout of the furnace. There are a couple areas behind the cabinets and around the waterheater under the sink that allow air to travel into the basement from the main living space, that could possibly help with regulating basement temps. Fortunately I can keep the basement from freezing by leaving the cabinet door open with a small space heater set at about 35 degrees on the floor when we're not using it. I'll have to check my slide gaskets, I can't see light or feel any drafts but it is noticeably colder around the seal. What was the modification made if you don't mind me asking?
*2016 EC 960*
*2013 Dodge CC SRW 3500*
Small space heater is great, but wouldn’t work for me when off-grid. As per the slide-out wiper gasket, it never did seal quite well, and whenever the 30kbtu furnace would kick on it would create a substantial cold air draft via the leaky underside wiper gasket... So I swapped out the 30kbtu furnace (which is actually oversized for a truck camper) for a Atwood two-speed 15-22kbtu furnace which provided a huge reduction in outside air intrusion (which occured whenever OEM furnace running), was much quieter and far more fuel and battery efficient (about a 6amp reduction) with less on-off cycling...Heats the camper in a jiffy, and interior temps are more even (due to less cycling and less air intrusion) but since it is a physically smaller body unit, I had to retain the exterior OEM (suburban) cover plate, so simply lined up the exhaust pipe (by a slight re-positioning of furnace body) to match the OEM port openings...This also required 1 additional wire run to the thermostat to accomodate both the hi and low speeds...Once temps get to within 2 degF of t-stat set-point, furnace automatically drops to (and remains on thereafter) low speed...

So I eliminated the cheap wiper gasket and replaced it with the ‘rubber type’ (premium rubber) pipe foam (from Home Depot) thats used for home central air conditioner tubing. To make this work properly (so that the slide motion couldn’t drag it out of position) I arc-tacked, back-to-back two inverted pieces of 3/4” x 1/16” aluminum angle (from Home Depot stock) together to form a ‘Z’ shape, and used that as a vertical backstop to provide a backing which prevents the slide from dragging the pipe foam inward into the campers interior...

I had previously tried ‘off the shelf’ 20-22 gauge Z bar flashing on my first beta trial but over a time it eventually weakened and failed due to light gauge flimsiness)...On the exterior, the aluminum Z angle is drilled and slipped beneath the white OEM trim piece, and I drilled additional holes in it (at the immediate 90 degree vertical bend-crease - about 5” intervals) to insert stainless-steel electrician wire-ties (from Home Depot) which  prevent the foam from moving outward...I had previously tried nylon wire ties but they didn’t last too long...Since the pipe foam is hollow, if needed (say, for greater fill-in under-slide contact) one could insert a length of 1/2” poly plumbing pipe into the foam to expand it a bit tighter...When done, I sprayed a bit of airesol bicycle chain lube on the foam surface as a lubricant which does not attract dirt or dust...

Hope this helps,
3 tons

BTW, I just noticed that yours is a Yakama built camper, so I’m not real sure if your slide gasket is exactly like mine (??).
(12-11-2018, 10:11 PM)3 tons Wrote: Small space heater is great, but wouldn’t work for me when off-grid. As per the slide-out wiper gasket, it never did seal quite well, and whenever the 30kbtu furnace would kick on it would create a substantial cold air draft via the leaky underside wiper gasket... So I swapped out the 30kbtu furnace (which is actually oversized for a truck camper) for a Atwood two-speed 15-22kbtu furnace which provided a huge reduction in outside air intrusion (which occured whenever OEM furnace running), was much quieter and far more fuel and battery efficient (about a 6amp reduction) with less on-off cycling...Heats the camper in a jiffy, and interior temps are more even (due to less cycling and less air intrusion) but since it is a physically smaller body unit, I had to retain the exterior OEM (suburban) cover plate, so simply lined up the exhaust pipe (by a slight re-positioning of furnace body) to match the OEM port openings...This also required 1 additional wire run to the thermostat to accomodate both the hi and low speeds...Once temps get to within 2 degF of t-stat set-point, furnace automatically drops to (and remains on thereafter) low speed...

So I eliminated the cheap wiper gasket and replaced it with the ‘rubber type’ (premium rubber) pipe foam (from Home Depot) thats used for home central air conditioner tubing. To make this work properly (so that the slide motion couldn’t drag it out of position) I arc-tacked, back-to-back two inverted pieces of 3/4” x 1/16” aluminum angle (from Home Depot stock) together to form a ‘Z’ shape, and used that as a vertical backstop to provide a backing which prevents the slide from dragging the pipe foam inward into the campers interior...

I had previously tried ‘off the shelf’ 20-22 gauge Z bar flashing on my first beta trial but over a time it eventually weakened and failed due to light gauge flimsiness)...On the exterior, the aluminum Z angle is drilled and slipped beneath the white OEM trim piece, and I drilled additional holes in it (at the immediate 90 degree vertical bend-crease - about 5” intervals) to insert stainless-steel electrician wire-ties (from Home Depot) which  prevent the foam from moving outward...I had previously tried nylon wire ties but they didn’t last too long...Since the pipe foam is hollow, if needed (say, for greater fill-in under-slide contact) one could insert a length of 1/2” poly plumbing pipe into the foam to expand it a bit tighter...When done, I sprayed a bit of airesol bicycle chain lube on the foam surface as a lubricant which does not attract dirt or dust...

Hope this helps,
3 tons

BTW, I just noticed that yours is a Yakama built camper, so I’m not real sure if your slide gasket is exactly like mine (??).

Great info! We only use the space heater when it's parked and plugged in at home. I like the idea of changing out the furnace, I have experience the quick short cycling you described. I camp a lot with a buddy who has another brand camper (NL) that uses a much smaller furnace and it keeps up fine, uses less gas, battery, and is substantially quieter. That may be worth looking into if this one fails at some point. 

I believe my slide has a double seal/gasket, I'll have to double check. Looks like your solution is pretty bomb proof now, well done.
*2016 EC 960*
*2013 Dodge CC SRW 3500*
The Atwood two speed was a bit of a pricy mod (comes with new t-stat), but in retrospect no looking back because of the added comfort levels and a substantial amp hour savings - we very seldom camp on-grid...Note that at a cost option, Lance will install this same 15-22kbtu furnace in their largest of campers...

3 tons