Hardwired Surge Protector?
Has anyone installed a hardwired surge protector or are most using something that plugs into the electrical pedestal? If hardwired does anyone have pictures. Thanks
I hardwired mine in the basement, but no picture at thus time...

3 tons
Thanks. Thinking about doing it but would love to see how it looks...
I had a hardwired Surge Guard in my last camper - their instruction wanted it mounted at or close to the shore power input wires.
The only way I could do that on that camper was to remove a kitchen drawer and a face panel - it made it so that the unit could not be seen without removing the drawer.  Very inconvenient.

And too, there was a 45 second delay before the Surge Guard would connect power to the camper - apparently it "sampled" the voltage for a period before applying it to the system.

The Surge Guard was more than a simple surge protector - it would disconnect if voltage went above or below a certain level - which is absolutely necessary for any travel in Mexico.

My second protector was a simple surge protector by Progressive Industries - the kind that plugs into the pedestal - cost around a hundred bucks.  If failed after about a year.  They offered to send a new one at no charge, no exchange needed.

I bought yet another protector, this time one with both high/low/surge protection and it is NOT hardwired - it is the kind that hangs from the pedestal.
With the ones that hang from the pedestal, you have to have some type of anti-theft cable.  The advantage is that you can see it easily.  Some of them have led voltage read-outs too.
While in Mexico (a San Carlos RV park) I saw a lot of the pedestal type protectors and some had the LED voltage read outs.  It was interesting to see the voltages vary throughout the morning/day/evening.
AKA: testdog
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
Because I have a portable generator, I found that the surge protector would sense a voltage issue upon each air cond compressor start-up, and repeatedly shut down genny power. So I installed a second power cord dedicated for generator use only that is wired in post surge protector...
Thanks for the feedback.  We had a Surge Guard (model # 34850) in our DRV 5th wheel and it worked great.  Plugged in at the pedestal and luckily no problems.  I think we will look at the 30 amp version.

Well went with a trusted friend but 30amp version. We don't mind the delay and feel safe using it. The old Surge guard never failed us before and hope this does the same.
Another option is the Hughes Autoformer and Surge protector....Protects against both surges and voltage sags...I previously had the surge guard but had trouble running the air cond from the honda 2000 since it would shut down with each compressor start due to the brief voltage sag...By regulating shore power or genny voltage output, Hughes solves this problem...

https://tweetys.com/hughes-autoformers-2.aspx