Getting off the beaten path with an 1160
Good morning. 

I am new to this forum and not yet an owner of an Eagle Cap 1160.  However, I am pretty much settled on the idea of a truck camper; not a trailer/fifth wheel, motor home.  I also do not wish to park in RV Parks all of the time; I prefer to get off the paved roads. for a variety  of reasons.  If I make this purchase I will be putting the 1160 on a Ford F 450, dually, diesel, 4X4, long bed, crew cab.  

My question is this:  Do any of the current owners of an 1160 get off the pavement, back in the hills, go to the lake, the river, up a forest road to the higher elevations where you may not see anyone for at least a few hundred yards?   I do not want to assume I can do this, only to get stuck.  

I am also concerned about the rear end overhang on the 1160.  It looks like about 6 feet from the rear wheels.  That can be very problematic. 

Your comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Thanx
Tom/Adobeman
I've had an Eagle Cap 1150, an Arctic Fox 1141 and a Lance 1181 on a dually long bed crew cab for the last 10+ years - they are all big campers similar to the 1160 length wise.

I occasionally off road it to boondock sites.  The problems that need watching are as you mentioned, the rear jacks when crossing a ditch or rocky area.  The truck and camper angle are key.  I've never had to remove a jack probably because the situation with that much angle has not happened yet.

Another problem (happened only once to me so far) is the dually has a wider stance - a dirt road that is etched into the ground by single rear wheel vehicles can be driven.  BUT, if the dirt road makes a tight turn, it will cause the rear wheels to ride up onto the shoulder and make the camper tilt over too far.  When the road is etched too deep, the turn angle and camper tilt will make it impassable.

Rocky roads like stream beds.  Duallys can get a boulder (or two or three) stuck between the rear tires - really jammed up between the rubber.  It requires loosening a rear wheel to free the boulder(s).

There are plenty of boondocking sites that don't require extreme vehicle performance.  The larger camper and dually can do it all with only a few exceptions.
(I do carry a sharp pruning tool and shovel.)

Getting stuck is always a possibility with any vehicle.  If in doubt, get out and walk the trail or road to inspect the surface.  I tow a Jeep and will use it to scout an area when necessary. 
Thanks for joining the ECO forum and happy adventures to you.
AKA: testdog
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
Good information.  I had not thought about the wider stance of the dual rear wheels.  The light came on very quickly for me.  I am not sure I want to go to that extreme in my boondocking events, but the wider track is a good thing to keep in mind.  I, too, carry a shovel, saw, chain, axe, etc.  I am sure there are enough maintained dirt roads thru the forest to keep me busy.  Yeah, walking ahead is a good idea; have done many times in my younger days when we sought out wild caves to crawl (an ex-spelunker) and creeks to hike.  I keep telling myself, "you will want to get a winch."  And I am not opposed to walking the last mile or two to my destination.
Thanks again.
Tom/Adobeman