Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching from a DRW to a flatbed
Finally, Here’s pics with the camper on board with the new 9” wide Aux 51gal tank Smile…I removed the two 3” rubber bumpers from the camper’s front and added a 1” -2” padded box steel bumper bolted thru the deck….This leaves (e.g. above the bumper) 1” space between the tank and camper…The steel bumper also has short rearward extensions on each end that serve both as guides and to keep the camper’s front centered…

Note, pics are with swing-out front jack in both positions…

(click on pic for proper orientation)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I thought that adding some LED rope lighting beneath the wings would be a nice and easy upgrade Smile …
Installed 1/2” x 1/2” aluminum angle on each side that serves as a cool aesthetic valence to conceal the LED light strips…Seems to add a welcome amount of lighting to the surrounding ground area as well (yea!)…LED’s were only $16 for the linkable four 24” piece set at Amazon…

Heading out to the Quartzite camper rally in a few days - will try out the new fuel tank and wing lights ‘evenings in situ’ - lol!

Good idea and nice work!  If it were mine, I would add a motion detector to the lights too.
I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
The rig looks similar to this - nothing exceeds factory weight limits.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
(02-08-2024, 11:03 AM)admin-rich Wrote: Good idea and nice work!  If it were mine, I would add a motion detector to the lights too.

Heck, that’s an interesting idea, though I’m not sure how that would work in traffic Huh lol!!
Big Grin (just kidding !!)
In advance of our trip departure, finally got the spare tire mounted…Ultimately, I went with this position rather that in between the camper’s front side and the bed’s ‘headache rack’ mainly because of difficult spare tire removal, which (along with 125# of awkward wheel weight…) would require that the camper be repositioned aft-wards a bit to provide access (ugg!) - so in the end, filling-in that area with an aux tank seemed to be of a higher value and far more practical use for that space..JMO

I obtained (the pictured…) spare tire extension and mounting bracket from StableCamper, but added a *drop-down adapter due to the intrusive support members beneath the new rear deck extension…

*(a compromise that lowers rear ground clearance to 13”)

Other possible spare tire options might have been a front of truck mounting, (as once seen on YouTube), or even to rig up a specially designed mount to the left side of the camper’s rear door, but not enough room there…

The good news is that the spare doesn’t extend out past the rear deck - yea!

(Note, click on pic for proper orientation…)

Here’s another pic (with spare tire) just taken at a CG in Lone Pine, CA while enroute to Quartzite, AZ…The rear deck mod with accordion staircase has proved to be the best thing ever!! - and not all that bad looking for a 15 year old camper, eh!!

(click to enlarge…)