Fiberglass Rear Bumper…
(07-05-2023, 05:31 AM)admin-rich Wrote: That is one heck of a spring pack!  Do you think you need air bags?  Tongue

Question about insurance and registration; Does the truck have to be registered as "commercial" and what is the cost difference between it and the one ton?
Insurance?

Ha, know that there was some misunderstanding as to this in my own ‘lay mind’ as well…

Though the 5500 and 4500’s are viewed as commercial use vehicles, after speaking to those who own and use them for their campers (at QZite rally, et al), the Nevada DMV and my Insurance Agent, I soon discovered there’s really not much difference so long as it’s not being used for commercial purposes…

In fact, I’ve occasionally seen a few 5th wheels being pulled by Freightliners, but so long as it’s not in commercial service, no commercial Drivers License is required for such…

Since it is designed for commercial usage, note the required holographic sticker on the left front fender stating, ‘Certified Clean Air Idle’…Again, this is applicable for commercial usage, though I plan to leave the sticker in place (a re-sale thingy?). However, it’s always best to check with your State’s DMV…

In my view it’s just a much better and safer way to go, and (per my Insurance Agent) more and more RV  folks have made the switch…Due to the mileage accumulating on our 3500 DRW (86k), the eventual potential for costly emissions repairs, rising new vehicle cost and projected future travel plans, I saw no real advantage in avoiding the purchase - plus, I’ve now opted (at a negotiated fair price) for a 8yr 125k bumper to bumper warranty - mainly because of all the costly on-board computers, including (now optional) automatic lane and braking safety sensors, cameras and such…

As far as ride goes, I purposely opted for a steel skirted bed (at 300-400# heavier) vs aluminum, just to help dampen the ‘unladen ride’ - Either way (per my own dogged research…), the ride only gets a bit rough where hitting dang potholes, otherwise the word from owners is the ride is fine Smile

Jared at StableCamper was very helpful in all these regards…
(07-05-2023, 05:31 AM)admin-rich Wrote: That is one heck of a spring pack!  Do you think you need air bags?  Tongue

Question about insurance and registration; Does the truck have to be registered as "commercial" and what is the cost difference between it and the one ton?
Insurance?

Ha, know that there was some misunderstanding as to this in my own ‘lay mind’ as well…

Though the 5500 and 4500’s are viewed as a commercial use vehicle, after speaking to those who own and use them for their campers (at QZite rally, et al), the Nevada DMV and my Insurance Agent, I soon discovered there’s really not much difference so long as it’s not being used for commercial purposes…

In fact, I’ve occasionally seen a few 5th wheels being pulled by Freightliners, but so long as it’s not in commercial service, no commercial Drivers License is required to drive such…

Since it is designed for commercial usage, note the required holographic sticker on the left front fender stating, ‘Certified Clean Air Idle’…Again, this is applicable for commercial usage, though I plan to leave the sticker in place (a re-sale thingy?). However, it’s always best to check with your State’s DMV…

In my view it’s just a much better and safer way to go, and (per my Insurance Agent) more and more RV  folks have made the switch…Due to the mileage accumulating on our 3500 DRW (86k), the eventual potential for costly emissions repairs, rising new vehicle cost and projected future travel plans, I saw no real advantage in avoiding the purchase - plus, I’ve now opted (at a negotiated fair price) for a 8yr 125k bumper to bumper warranty - mainly because of all the costly on-board computers, including (now optional) automatic lane and braking safety sensors, cameras and such…

As far as ride goes, I purposely opted for a steel skirted bed (at 300-400# heavier) vs aluminum, just to help dampen the ‘unladen ride’ - Either way (per my own dogged research…), the ride only gets a bit rough where hitting dang potholes, otherwise the word from owners is the ride is fine Smile

Jared at StableCamper was very helpful in all these regards…
Here’s more, and a note I sent to another pal (note the size of front brake caliper):

John, Drives like a dream, braking (compared to 3500) is incredible as is the steering response and turning radius (light and much tighter!) as is the welcome higher visibility - much more stout than a 1 ton, yet depending on road surface (e.g. pot holes and asphalt to concrete transitions) not discomforting, possibly due to the dampening effect of the 1400# steel-skirted bed…haven't loaded the camper yet…52 gal Fuel tank shows just over 600mi range…Interior is uber luxo inside, computer controlled Aisin transmission shifts ‘absolutely seamlessly’ and engine is uber quiet, actually the ride is surprisingly tempered and civilized, while ‘road feel’ conveys a tremendous amount of big rig like confidence and security…Power is ‘meted out’ incrementally upon take-offs via computer control - quite honestly, after owning 3 previous HD Ram diesels, and several prior gasser’s this truck reeks of a level of engineering and civility I’ve never before experienced!!

In the end, after an excursion into what was ‘unknown truck territory’ for me (especially after the command driving experience!) I really couldn’t be any more pleased with the 5500, definitely to remain the way forward - truly quite impressive in all possible aspects, even passed the Happy Wife test with flying colors!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)