Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12V 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium: $289.99
Three day only sale.
I bought two of these about a year ago for quite a bit more money.
https://www.litime.com/products/litime-12v-100ah-lithium-lifepo4-battery

[Image: LiTime12V100AhLithiumLiFePO4Battery1_f6e...ae74dd.jpg]
I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
The rig looks similar to this - nothing exceeds factory weight limits.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
And now, another battery maker jumps in:  https://www.redodopower.com/products/like-new-redodo-12v-100ah-lifepo4-battery-1-28kwh-1-28kw
Is this the beginning of cheap(er) lifepo4 batteries?

I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
Well, Aims had a sale so I just added a third 200a/h lithium (LiFePo4) battery, for a new total of 600a/hrs…This about uses up the available space beneath the ‘U’ shaped dinette…Per our experience, the extra capacity will come in handy when running the air conditioner for extended periods during a poor solar harvest scenario in a highly shaded campsite…

Space beneath aft dinette seat…

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-13-2023, 08:15 AM)3 tons Wrote: Well, Aims had a sale so I just added a third 200a/h lithium (LiFePo4) battery, for a new total of 600a/hrs…This about uses up the available space beneath the ‘U’ shaped dinette…Per our experience, the extra capacity will come in handy when running the air conditioner for extended periods during a poor solar harvest scenario in a highly shaded campsite…

It's a very bad idea to add different aged batteries together!!  If they are from different makers it is even a worse idea!!
(10-05-2023, 04:27 PM)Flyfisherman Wrote:
(09-13-2023, 08:15 AM)3 tons Wrote: Well, Aims had a sale so I just added a third 200a/h lithium (LiFePo4) battery, for a new total of 600a/hrs…This about uses up the available space beneath the ‘U’ shaped dinette…Per our experience, the extra capacity will come in handy when running the air conditioner for extended periods during a poor solar harvest scenario in a highly shaded campsite…

It's a very bad idea to add different aged batteries together!!  If they are from different makers it is even a worse idea!!

As a general rule I can agree (no exclamation marks, no shouting required…), particularly with flooded wet-cell chemical based batteries (especially mixing brands…), however, this would be in an ideal world (which has kinda bypassed some of us Smile  lol)…

However this is somewhat less so with lithium… Quite naturally, I stuck with the same exact batteries and brand, and having the ability of monitoring individual battery cell-voltages (via battery Bluetooth), battery-to-battery cell-voltages are a still closely matched, and operating within the same ballparks …Though these batteries have 10year warranties, per the many articles I’ve perused, if properly charged and discharged, they’ll likely last somewhere closer to 20 years…Also, when charged ‘as a set’ (per Bluetooth monitoring) they charge fairly evenly, so much so that I seriously doubt that one battery knows another battery is even there - lol!…System voltage is consistent whether in isolation (via separate isolation switches), or when paralleled together, in fact from my hands-on perspective (monitoring individually and in parallel…) I see this as yet another attribute lithium has over sluggish chemical-reaction batteries, so bottom line - I’m quite satisfied, indeed if I had more room I might even add another - but, that’s just me, your concern is duly noted!

I might also add that a similar deviation of which you’ve mentioned also exist where even new batteries are improperly paralleled whereby cabling is improperly balanced - one battery over a time works harder than the others, and re-charging is uneven - one battery may even divert some of it’s power to a neighboring harder working battery…

In my view (JMHO) what is paramount with lithium (to affect longevity) is one’s charging and discharging techniques (e.g battery management) - again, not the same as with wet-cell types…This is where I mainly focus my attention…Surprisingly enough to me, a few users I’ve met who have switched over seemed to have forgot they are even there…In the end, this might even suggest that lithium are far more tolerant than some of us heretofore may realize (??)…
Quote:It's a very bad idea to add different aged batteries together!!  If they are from different makers it is even a worse idea!!

This is a known truism in the traditional sense.  And it's probably good advice for the general public as lithium battery use in the automotive industry becomes more common.

Some early adopters, such as 3 tons, tend to be more cautious. . .and knowledgeable.  
My use of lithium LiFePo4 is quite different than 3 tons usage.  I monitor battery voltage alone - nothing more.
No blue tooth.  No current flow - nothing.

I've thought about adding a 3rd lithium battery but question the wisdom off "new" added to "old".  
Time passes quickly.  My lithium's are probably two years old by now. It is reasonable to think that battery cell composition and technology may have changed a little at the manufacturers level - especially given the rapid advances and competition.

However, I might add a 3rd battery but it would be on a switch 2nd circuit and not in parallel with the existing batteries.
(10-08-2023, 04:55 AM)admin-rich Wrote:
Quote:It's a very bad idea to add different aged batteries together!!  If they are from different makers it is even a worse idea!!

This is a known truism in the traditional sense.  And it's probably good advice for the general public as lithium battery use in the automotive industry becomes more common.

Some early adopters, such as 3 tons, tend to be more cautious. . .and knowledgeable.  
My use of lithium LiFePo4 is quite different than 3 tons usage.  I monitor battery voltage alone - nothing more.
No blue tooth.  No current flow - nothing.

I've thought about adding a 3rd lithium battery but question the wisdom off "new" added to "old".  
Time passes quickly.  My lithium's are probably two years old by now. It is reasonable to think that battery cell composition and technology may have changed a little at the manufacturers level - especially given the rapid advances and competition.

However, I might add a 3rd battery but it would be on a switch 2nd circuit and not in parallel with the existing batteries.

Yep, I do take little to chance (throwing caution to the wind - NOT!) and monitor my batteries very closely, but it’s in this way that I have confidence in their characteristics - to some degree, each having it’s own personality - lol!…And if you think about it, a lithium battery with a well maintained theoretical life span of say 20 or so yrs (depending on # cycles, etc - some reports suggest maybe longer??…), I suppose that in everyday usage that puts a 2 yr old battery at around 10% (<  >) of it’s effective lifespan…These are some of the things that I consider…

I’m almost certain that even my oldest battery has received better care than most others in the field…Paying close attention to depth of discharge, operating within a conservative SOC span, temperature limits, proper charge voltage and a CC-CV single stage charging device, visual monitoring during every performed cell-balancing stage (note, cell-balancing stage performed only periodically), adopting safeguards against dendrite formation (due to prolonged over-charging), and proper cable balancing are all a routine part of my LFP care…

So far my batteries seem like ‘Happy Campers’…
Since it was a Sunday and this discussion peaked my interest, I decided to check out how the three lithium batteries are getting along with each other - FWIW, here are some results: 

(Click on each for proper orientation)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)