Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque - gorilla or girlie-girl
Asked about "torque" by my dw, I explained it like a bicycle
The bike has one gear. A little girl would have a difficult time pedaling that bike up a steep hill.
But if we got a strongman from the circus to pedal that same bike, he'd have no trouble going up that same hill.

I hope that is a good explanation. . .?
I traded in the problematic 2014 Lance for an 1150 Arctic Fox - wish EC made the 1150.
The rig looks similar to this - nothing exceeds factory weight limits.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=333]
(06-22-2014, 04:54 PM)admin-rich Wrote: Asked about "torque" by my dw, I explained it like a bicycle
The bike has one gear.  A little girl would have a difficult time pedaling that bike up a steep hill.
But if we got a strongman from the circus to pedal that same bike, he'd have no trouble going up that same hill.

I hope that is a good explanation. . .?

In your analogy the strongman has much more power than the girlie girl and so he can easily produce the required torque to pedal up the hill. Torque x rpm equals power ….. torque on its own is kind of meaningless.

An engine capable of making 400 Hp is capable of pulling a 20,000 lb truck and trailer up 5% grade at 60 mph. An engine capable of making 400 lbft of torque might be capable of getting that truck and trailer up the hill but without knowing the engine’s power rating there is no way of knowing what speed it can climb the hill at.
Maybe an analogy that would help your wife understand torque and its relationship to power would be for her to understand that her heart lungs and muscles are capable of producing a certain amount of power. Her power can be transmitted through the pedals, gears and chain of a bicycle. If she finds she can pedal 15 mph on her bicycle in 10th gear while pedalling 100 revolutions per minute she will be exerting exactly half the force or torque on crank arm (pedals) vs if she shifts to high gear where 15 mph is achieved at 50 revolutions per minute. In both cases her power output will be identical.